So last weekend my BFF and I said goodbye to the kids and partners, packed the car, strapped in the sewing machines and caught the ferry for an indulgent weekend of pure craftiness. There would be sewing, sewing and more sewing, interrupted only for food and sleep. There was Eurovision too which we sewed and cheered through, accompanied by a beer or two!!
It was fantastic and I highly recommend it, my sewing is usually squashed in after bedtime, or on the rare occasion of a little ME time, so to be able to wake up in the morning and just go straight back to the machine was pure bliss, also i didnt have to put anything away or tidy up…extra yay (as usual sewing space is the dining table!!).
Any way thought you might like to see what I made, I actually finished 3 tops for me (haven’t photographed the other 2 yet), a 4th was not a success as I totally misjudged the fabric choice/pattern requirements (not enough drape..when will I learn), which was a little gutting as it was a beautiful summery Liberty print, fingers crossed it can be salvaged.
I also started a bomber jacket that I have been promising my teenage daughter, but didn’t finish it (still haven’t….bad mum), but this was mainly as my new machine (read second hand) started to make a bad bad noise and eating fabric, this might be from over work but i don’t think so, fingers crossed all it need is a nifty service.
I have been wanting to make this raglan top for ages and up until now have not found the courage to cut into the beautiful wool jersey that I bought it last year from Fabrics Galore, it’s Italian, super soft and really really lovely,. The pattern is from Sew u Home Stretch. The neckband is salvaged from an old beloved cardigan that I shrank, as is the little triangle.
I do love it, very comfortable and snuggly, also very warm which is a lesson in procrastination, as of course now the weather is warming up, so not sure when I will get the opportunity to wear it.
I also added a zip in the end of each arm sleeve, just for bit of detail, it was my first time doing this and they came out not brilliant but ok. I used this tutorial , which I thought I had followed to a T, but somehow didn’t, better luck next time.
Also just a quick picture of our sewing workstation!!! and one of my lovely friend Sheridan’s sewing machine, she has glued a magnet on the end of the machine so she can just chuck her pins to it as she takes them out…Brilliant (credit to Beverlee for the idea)