A little bit of Gingham

When I saw this gingham I just had to have it, lucky for me it was in the sale (£4 a metre if i remember right…a steal) at Fabrics Galore. What garment it was destined to become wasn’t so clear, I have had this pattern for ages, it is from the 03/2012 edition of Burda Style Magazine (which is a good one by the way), and I think it was the gingham that swayed me, what I didn’t give enough thought too was the difference in drape between my material and the cotton batiste shown (and recommended). In normal Bedlam and Bird fashion I just steamed in, blind to reality and just focusing on how wonderful my new dress would be!!


Now the finished result is not too bad, you just have to not look too hard, cos believe me there are plenty of mistakes in there, it gaps a little under the arms, the side zip insertion isn’t perfect and my pattern matching is practically none exsistent. The sides just about match but the back is a nightmare, I don’t know what happened, I could of sworn I was being quite accurate when cutting out, but guess not. Luckily I can’t see this error when it’s on, so tend forget about it when I’m wearing it, and wearing it I have been doing, IMG_5593 IMG_5602


I know that everyone bemoans the instructions with the Burda Style magazine patterns, personally I like to do them once in while as a personal kind of challenge…me against the pattern….ha ha (you can put japanese patterns books in that category too).Luckily this dress is the feature pattern in the edition and so has detailed instructions, and detailed instruction you will need, as the twist in the front requires some suspension of belief whilst your brain gets to grips with the job at hand. Once your brain does comprehend it is actually pretty straightforward. The problem that I have (had) is that my fabric is just not as drapey, floaty as i would have liked to believed it was (even though i washed it twice…am I the only one who does this in the crazy thought that it will add more drape???). Even thought the twist behaved itself the skirt just doesn’t hang in the drapey floaty way that I suspect it is meant too. A lesson to be learn here my thinks, but will this be the last time I mismatch fabric/pattern…I think not. Oh well even though I know it is not my best make (by far) I just love the colour…it makes me happy….. and that counts right!!!!




Another top that came out of the my Isle of wight trip. The fabric is a soft knit from Fabrics Galore, it was just one of those fabrics that you know you gotta have but have no idea what your gonna do with.

After some thought I had the idea that it would make a good Hemlock, but unfortunately I did not have the foresight to print the pattern before going away..duh!!

So with my friend Sheridan we self drafted a pattern based on a jumper she already had. It turned out pretty ok, which is saying something because everything else I have previously self drafted has turned out to be a disaster.. I am slowly learning to be a more precise person.


I love this print and the shape.


IMG_5545 IMG_5776

It is very comfy and the perfect jumper to throw on over leggings when you feel the need to be slouchy. The only difference I might make next time would be to widen the neckline.

I’ve photographed it  here over my new Jamie Jeans which I will blog about soon but am still getting to grips with photographing things..I feel like a complete amateur…oh yeah i am!!