So I went and made myself some culottes!! A style that I haven’t rocked since ..…well never!! But they seem to be everywhere at the moment and so I felt that now was a good a time as any to venture in to unknown fashion territory, and I think that they turned out alright !! These are my working muslin pair, I’ll post my second pair in the next post. The pattern is Vogue 9075, which I first glimpsed on Ada Spragg‘s insta feed (I think) and boy does that girl have style, so I though I might steal a little of it!!
I bought the pattern from Sew Direct, I don’t know if you know but they have a great membership deal where for £7.50 per quarter you get 50% off Vogue, Mccalls, Butterick and Kwik Sew patterns. You also get a monthly magazine with the latest pattern releases and usually some good sewing advice articles, you also get two free patterns when you join , which if they are Vogue tot up to the same price as the membership……..win win in my book!!
Ok, back to the pattern, it has two variations, dress or culottes with a fitted bodice and the option of short sleeves or sleeveless. As you can see I went for the sleeves, as I thought they would balance out the culottes. They are are made in a navy cotton poplin, which I thought had enough crispness to do the style justice. This pattern also had the petite adjustments that Vogue do with some of their patterns and I was eager to try this out as it’s the one adjustment I usually have to make to patterns. Theirs consisted of shorting the bodice in the waist area, this did not work for me, (my normal adjustment is to shorten the length between the bust and shoulder), it left me with the problem of the shoulder sitting up too high, leaving the neckline gaping a little, and then shortening the bodice made the culottes ride high in the crotch area, it’s not uncomfortable but let’s just say the seam could be lowered just a tad!! Oh well this is what muslins are for right!!!!
I found the instructions confusing relating to the pleats, supposedly the pleats are to be tacked down only temporarily, but I just went ahead, sewed them down and kept them this way, I wanted some shape to the hips and not just lots of fabric, and I’m happy that I did. Just liven up the whole navy thing I added a hot pink exposed zip!! ….as you do
On the whole this is a very wearable muslim, the outfit hasn’t has an outing yet but it feels smart and fun so I don think it will be lurking in the cupboard too long!! At the beginning of June I signed up for my first sewing blogger challenge, Jumping into June, all about jumpsuits, I think these qualify and seeing as its the 30th of June I am just about squeezing my entry in……check out all the inspiring creations over at Chris‘s blog x