So at the end of last week Summer decided to really shine (unfortunately since then the mercury has dropped….arrrgggh…. English summers), but while we did have a taste of the heat it nicely coincided with me finishing this By Hand London Kim dress, I bought this last winter in prep for summer but only just got round to sewing it up. The fabric is a lovely cotton voile that I bought from Ebay specifically for this dress and I don’t know if I am regressing but I have been dreaming of a similar dress that I had when I was a teenager and was hoping to recreate it. I have partially succeeded as in I have now got a dress that is comfortable, light and flowy…….just what I need for summer (when it decides to stay!!)
If your not familiar with the Kim dress, it’s a lovely pattern with 2 very different versions (good value for money if you ask me) version 1 is of the square necked bodice with a tulip skirt and version 2 is a sweetheart neckline bodice with a gathered skirt, of course I made the bodice from version 1 with the skirt from version 2!!
I should have made a muslin, but well…..i didn’t, just ploughed in regardless and guess what?? the bodice was all wrong, it was way too wide and the straps just wouldn’t hold up, of course I discovered this once I had attached the skirt and inserted the zipper. (I just can’t really get the idea of how something will truly fit until I have put in the zip!!) I did a bit of fiddly adjustment, taking in the front two bodice seams by 1cm each, and fortunately this partly corrected the issue, but the straps are still a tad too long and this I couldn’t adjust without picking apart the whole thing, and noooo that was not gonna happen, so I put in two bra attachers to hold those babies up..… and this seems to work!! The skirt is a very simple gathered skirt with the nice detail of pin tucks around the lower edge of the skirt. I added pockets, because I am actually addicted to having pockets and feel lost without them (sad huh!!)
I really like the finished dress (I’ve already worn it twice in three days) but not sure a gathered skirt is the most flattering for me, my tummy has housed two children and is hence not too flat so the skirt tends to stick out slightly, maybe next time I’ll try a circle skirt with that bodice.
I currently have a back log of makes so look out for lots more posts soon. This year I have been blighted by computer glitches, mishaps and failures, I have hopefully sorted them all so will be to blog with a bit more regularity (fingers crossed).
Anyone have exciting summer sewing plans??? Or are you already thinking of Autumn?? I know that sounds mad but I recently found myself purchasing this pattern!!!! What did I say about wanting more warm weather!!!!
Another beautiful pattern from those crafty girls over at By Hand London that has been made by hundreds of sewists the world over. The Elisalex dress was a joy to see, especially as I had this gorgeous Liberty fabric to work with. I cut a straight size 10 and didn’t make a muslin ( I am a impatient sod and when I have an idea of a garment, I wanna see it made..pronto) the bodice was a little big so had to take the side seams in 1″ at the waist and I really should have done a small busy adjustment because I also had to reduce the curve on the bust. My choice of lining could have been better as even though I under stitched the neckline it still won’t sit flat and you can see the white lining ( white lining!!! What was I thinking??)
I love the bodice (and will be making it again) and have actually worn it out a few times, but I am unsure about the tulip skirt, in theory I love the shape but in reality I am short and the volume does not do me any favours so am thinking I will adjust the volume, especially around the hips!
Deeply love the fabric though and for that reason she will get worn again (with adjustments), with a denim jacket and ankle boots maybe!!
So I have had this made for a few months now, and just haven’t found the time to post about it, in fact I have a whole backlog of posts. In fact I am still getting to grips with the balance of blog vs life, if only they could find a way that I could post telepathically, that would help enormously.
Well here she is I know that I am a little late to the party by I just love those girls over at By Hand London and the Victoria pattern is no different, classy and a fabulous addition to any wardrobe. I have made her up in a lovely Italian brocade (i think) anyhoo it is lovely and soft with good drape.
The photos are not doing the colour justice as it is more midnight blue in real life. I snagged it at Fabrics Galore last winter. Every couple of months they get a shipment of beautiful Italian fabrics, lots of designer end bolts, but they don’t always end up on the website so best to check with them as to when they’re getting shipment.
Yes I am holding down the ends of the lapels, as I didn’t properly press them before taking photos!! I was pushed for time and the so apologise for the quality of the photos, it has been while since I have posted and I’m determined to get more regular as the projects are piling up.
As for the pattern I cut a straight 10 and the fit is good, I usually like jackets to be more fitted around the waist but I actually like the looser shape of this pattern, next time might just take a little off the length as it sits in a weird place for me.
Overall a really lovely jacket that has already been put to good use, and lined in a gorgeous Neisha Crossland silk, that was a forgotten old purchase in my stash..result!!