I lusted after this pattern for ages and then bought it on whim and left it to linger in my pattern stash until finally it made i’s way into the sewing pile, and I’m so glad it did. This is the second time I’ve made a Papercut patterns ( I’ve also made a pneuma tank …as yet unblogged!!) and their sizing and fit works very well for me.
I chose to make the shorter version and I did go to the trouble of making a muslin (cutting a M) and then after trying to make numerous alterations, my wise partner (Mr BB) suggested I just go down a size….uh duh, and of course a S fit just right!!
I have the paper version of the pattern and I love the aesthetic that goes into all aspects, even the pattern sleeve. The instructions are straight forward and well explained, illustrations help so that the jacket came together very simply, overall a really enjoyable make. The fabric is a navy wool blend, bought from The man outside Sainsburys (Walthamstow Market) and the lining is long a go purchase from ebay, a decent match I think.
I haven’t actually worn this much since I made it as the weather turned a little cold, but looking forward to breaking it out come the spring…….
If you need any more inspiration to make this pattern search ti on integral…there are literally tons of wonderful versions
Here is the Sydney Jacket by Tessuti. One of those lovely patterns that come together like a dream.
I knew I wanted to make this from the first time I saw it, I am not usually into waterfall fronts but this just seemed so practical and stylish. I bought that pattern in the summer but waited until the weather turned colder to actually put it together (beware the pdf has a lot of pages)
The wool is a beautiful italian that I found at Fabrics Galore (£18 per mtr if i remember rightly), I was sorely tempted to make this in a grey but seeing as I put a self imposed ban on buying grey fabric (see here) that wasn’t an option. So blue it is and I’m glad, it’s a really lovely quality and a great colour that seems to goes with anything. I love that it is so cosy and warm too.
The pattern specifically calls for boiled wool (or something similar that won’t fray) and the delight of having just raw cut edges has not worn off yet. It is a really simple make as you only have the pockets and over lapped seams to sew. The pockets are cleverly done and it took me until I actually came to sew them to understand the process , but the steps are very clearly explained and pictured, so they were a success first time.
Inspired but the lovely Ute‘s version and I have copied her (because her version rocks) in extending the sleeves ( I think I added 4″, but might have been 5″!!) I felt that this was needed to just add some warmth to the arms, they are still only 3/4 length but figure I can wear a warmer jumper or jacket underneath if I need to. What I love about this style is that you can dress it up or down and it looks equally good, I’ve paired it with my dungarees (still wearing them tons) and trainers, and dress and heels, it works both ways.
Apologies for the lack of photos, this was my first time doing a photo shoot in public (as not in own back yard or my friends) and I felt slightly foolish so I think I rushed it, but it was the first time I had used my remote shutter control and was impressed so hopefully I will get up the nerve to venture out with my camera again soon.
Thanks for stopping by.
So this was one of those almost instant makes. I had eyed up the Popover Poncho by April Rhodes when it was first released but wasn’t sure that my wardrobe had a poncho shaped hole in it, so put it to the back of my mind. Now I know this sounds strange but it was another case of the fabric speaking to me, literally as soon as I clapped eyes on this wool mix I knew it had to be a poncho, and how can you say no to a pixelated wool blend!! So quicker than you could say gaucho I’d bought the fabric , purchased the pdf pattern on the way home (thank you smartphone!!) and printed it off as soon as I got home!! Then after toiling till the small hours, it was almost complete (polished off the hand stitching the next morning).
The pattern comes together relatively easy with two style options (with front pocket or without) and the instructions are clear and precise, I cut a small and the fit over the shoulder is perfect, I did no alterations. There are 4 pieces to the cowl (2 front , 2 back pieces) and 2 for the main body so no complication there. I did spend a little time over pattern placement as I did not want the headlight boob look if you know what i mean!!!!!! I also cut two different front pockets as I couldn’t decide on the pattern placement (it was late!!)
Initially I thought I would pick out the cowl in a nice soft grey wool that I had but as luck would have it I couldn’t lay my hands to it (my fabric stash is a little out of control) and I now think that keeping it in the same fabric works well. I handstitched in the lining of the cowl, which is actually the outer (and visible) part and didn’t want a visible hem that might alter the hang, so faced the hem with biased binding, turned it in and hand stitched it in place, and it seems to work very well.
All in all a lovely quick wearable make…very chuffed.
So if you fancy a quick and satisfying make to see you through the transition into spring look no further, I think it would be great in a soft wool or jersey maybe even without the cowl !!!